Since the very beginning, Foksal has been an address for the elites. In the 18th century, an elegant city park was created here, modeled on London’s Vauxhall, in which balls and performances were organized. Throughout the next century, Warsaw’s aristocracy and bourgeois started to build their palaces and residences along the former garden avenue. In the interwar period, Foksal became the favorite meeting spot of the capital’s elite circles, who would spend their time in the famous Café Snob and Café Bodo.
In the years 1895-1898, at Foksal 13 and 15 two luxury tenement houses were erected, based on the design by architect Artur Otton Spitzbarth. Since the beginning they were home to many prominent people, of merit to Polish culture and statehood, such as war hero Kazimierz Kubala, painter Zygmunt Badowski or poet Stefan Napierski. In the interwar period, also members of parliament and senators of the reborn Poland lived here, among others Stanisław Grabski, Ignacy Radlicki, Juliusz Zdanowski and Emil Godlewski. In the 30s, the tenement at Foksal 13 became property of Jan Wedel, the famous entrepreneur and “King of Chocolate”, who redeveloped it and equipped it with modern solutions, among others Warsaw’s first panoramic lift.